What's Happening At The Studio

The Scouts share what's inspiring them at the moment, along with what's going on in the studio.

www.vintagescout.com

Monday, April 25, 2011

It's All About the Details

...which is why Vintage Scout Interiors carries more than just furniture and lamps. Every tiny detail in your house says something about you.
NOTE/DISCLAIMER: after writing and rereading the post, I realize it may sound preachy, snotty, and soap-boxy; although unintended. If this will offend you, stop reading now. If you get the jest of how I blog, keep on keepin' on and thanks.
For instance, what smells greet guests when they enter your house? If it's 7pm and you're having a dinner party and it smells like sauteed garlic and onions, that's one thing; but if someone stops by to go over a PTO budget with you at 10 in the morning, maybe not so. And if said dinner party was held last night, it's entirely possible that the wonderful aroma of your creation may still be lingering. So you light a candle. A run-of-the-mill candle (yes I mean your average mall variety candle) or something with a unique scent and clean burning? We recommend choosing a Belle Fleur candle. They come in a floral series and a woods series, so you can choose one that matches your personality and home. Or if you can't find a scent in that candle line, there are plenty of others that fit the bill. Do you have one of those homes where more people use the back door than the front? If so, shouldn't that rug be important too? Then why are you shopping for it at a discount store? Dash & Albert indoor/outdoor rugs are beautiful and super easy to maintain. Most importantly, they have a back door price point! What are you waiting for?
We LOVE our Cucina! Their soaps, lotions, and cleaners are scented as not to conflict with food smells; making them perfect for the kitchen. Think about it; while you are preparing a savory dish, do you want to have a perfumy soap smell around? You've gone to the trouble to pour yourself a lovely glass of wine and the perfect tunes are playing on Pandora in the background; don't ruin it with your kitchen soap. (Corny, I know; but picture it and just roll with it. Because for me, if I'm cooking, I like to make it about the whole process, not just the eating) How are your pictures displayed? If they are important enough to have out for your guests to see, shouldn't the frame have a little thought put into it and match your decor? Vintage Scout has a large selection of photo frames that would suit any home.
You've spent thousands on your new kitchen and poured hours into all the functional details. Don't quit now. The splash of color that the right tea towel can bring is huge. Not to mention the frustration of how an inexpensive towel never seems to dry your dishes right. Nothing says "I care about the details" like LeJacquard Francais linens. They come in bright colors or neutrals; there is something for every season in every kitchen.
I could go on and on with the many details that make up a home, but I think you catch my drift. It's about putting more thought; not necessarily money, into those things and not just knocking it all out with one trip to Tarjay. Not much frustrates me more than going into a really nice home and the one thing that stands out are the completely cheap looking frames they've got on the side table. Or washing my hands somewhere and getting a migraine from the scent of the soap.
If you've read this far, it must mean you read my disclaimer and decided to go for it. I hope you don't regret it and defriend us on Facebook. And now, I'm sure I'll trip as I hop down from my soapbox. Don't worry, I'll be OK.

No comments: